Thursday, March 22, 2012

Qatar News

Just reading the paper this morning and a few things caught my eye....

Firstly, since everyone else is doing it, I will join Qatar in congratulating His Excellency Sheikh Abdullah Bin Hamad Al Thani, Chief of Emiri Diwan on the occasion of his marriage.

Blessings to your marriage and remember the old expression, "Happy wife, happy life". :)

I was hoping to find a nice link through the newspaper like I did for the other things below, but I couldn't.

**************************************************************
The following article was on the bottom of the fold, and it should have been on the top. Just my opinion.....but a pending water crisis is more important than some new ambulances. I did not realize that Qatar leads the Gulf countries in water recycling and conservation. Bravo!!! However, when you think about the rapidity of growth in this tiny nation - the population was about the same as the City of Winnipeg when my parents first arrived here in 2004, and now it's over 1.7 million people. That would place a HUGE demand on all resources, and let's face it, in a desert country water is probably more precious than gold. I read in the article about a hydroponic garden that has been started recently as a conservation project. I wonder if that was the garden centre I was in the other day. Hmmm.

**************************************************************
Qatar: Sand, Sea, Sky. I read about this book, written by Diana Untermeyer, wife of the former US Ambassador to Qatar, from 2004 to 2007. I will be hunting for this book. I wish I had seen this paper article YESTERDAY when I was at the Museum of Islamic Art because it is apparently for sale in their gift shop. However, the article also states that it can be purchased online so if I can't get back there before I leave, then I suppose I can order it when I get back to Canada. This is a great country and the people here are so warm and welcoming. They really do make you feel like family, even when you're falling flat on your face trying hard not to be a typical Westerner....which I may or may not have done :D




No comments:

Post a Comment