Monday, March 12, 2012

In flight!!!

I made it!!! All safe and sound. First, I'd like to deliver a big fat raspberry to Air Canada. Would it kill your staff to be nice? I went through all my security checks, showed my boarding pass to the lady at the counter before I board the plane, and while walking on the gangway, I put it all back in my purse. I don't travel all the time. I forgot that I would have to show it to the staff on the plane. Instead of a request for my pass, the snotty orange steward says, "I don't trust you, gimme your pass." Whoa. A polite request would have gone a long way. I took it because these days it seems like Big Brother has all the say about travel and if you dare question, then you're the bad guy......and I wasn't messing with my vacation because some big jerk was being rude and automatically assuming I'm bad right out of the gate.
My experience got better in Montreal at the Pierre Trudeau Airport. The staff there are very friendly and helpful, which was good because I had to do check in, etc all over again for Qatar Air. I was selected for a random search, and I have to say.....I want that nice young man to search me some more....."I am sorry ma'am, are you ok ma'am, thank you for your cooperation ma'am" Do you think while you're down there apologizing....you could maybe.....say my name? :D Rawr....

Let me tell you about Qatar Airway!!!!What a difference from Air Canada, who are the ones I am used to. Instead of running in looking partly finished or like they're perpetually going to be late, the QA folks marched in, in the crispest looking uniforms I've ever seen. Not a hair out of place, no over processed hair colours, no sloppy ponytails, no muffin top, no looking like the morning after the night before.....these folks looked like runway models, even the men. No orange tans or chicklet nails, hallelujah!!! I had heard about the QA people but never experienced them until now. OMG they are nice. In a 12hour flight they never stopped working like crazy and yet not one hair out of place, makeup perfect, always smiling, and ever present. What I'm accustomed to when I do travel is the great disappearing act by AC flight staff until its time to haul out the cart full of tasteless overpriced food items.....that cash is no good for anymore. Credit card only.....? My food on QA was tasty and INCLUDED.....chicken breast in spicy tomato sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, glazed broccoli, cheesecake, wine, ice cream, croissants and omelettes for breakfast, pancakes, and there were pillows, blankets, socks, toothbrushes, you name it. This was economy class, I wish I was wealthy enough to experience their first class. I probably wouldn't want to leave the plane :) The staff probably had about three wardrobe changes throughout the whole flight, and like I said, not a hair out of place. Gracious all the time.....even with all the testy customers and screaming babies.

Yes, about those babies. I will never again say to a client in the salon, "As long as there are no crying babies, I will be fine." God heard me say that, and surrounded me with toddlers cutting teeth :D So let's try the another approach going back.....if there are no deaf/mute 80 year olds all around me, it'll be a good flight home.

:D

I started a pair of socks on the flight over, I am nearly finished the first one. Lesson learned about international flying, I will bring lots of ibuprofen because I spent the entire flight with a raging sinus headache due to the dryness, so I couldn't really enjoy movies or crocheting because I was too busy hiding under the little sleep mask. On the way back, I would prefer to crochet, not be hiding from direct light. I don't want anyone to think I'll sparkle in the sun :P

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nicole. Firstly, we would like to give a big thank you to you for trying out our new services from Montreal on Qatar Airways. We're pleased that you found our service to be so refreshing compared to what you're accustomed to. We actually hear that quite a lot, and we use such authentic stories as fuel to get even better at everything we do.

    We will share your trip report with our senior management and staff. Thank you for taking the time to blog about the trip. We have followed you on Twitter @QatarAirways and would welcome you to follow us back and send a quick Direct Message with your confirmation number.

    Have a wonderful day and thank you for flying with Qatar Airways.

    Michael @ The Qatar Airways Community

    ReplyDelete