Thursday, March 22, 2012

Al Bidda Park

Waterway through the park. There are stores on either side
A couple of evenings ago we went to Al Bidda Park. This is a family park, where unaccompanied or single men are not allowed. Families and single girls come here to socialize and relax. There are some things about being here in Doha that I will miss, and places like this are on that list. It is nice to go somewhere that is reserved for families or women, where you don't have to worry about being harassed by men. Even in the evening, which is when we were there, there were women with small children. They were playing and exploring while their fathers were praying in the small mosque on the grounds. As late as it was, it felt completely safe.
Monument across from the park.

I am always amazed at how people just let their children wander off here. There is a level of trust in this community that I have not seen anywhere else that I have lived. As a parent I would never let my son to wander by himself when he was small in a mall, park, or on the street. You couldn't have paid me enough!!! Nowadays he is almost 18 and it is his turn to be my bodyguard :) I mentioned this to a lady I have met since visiting here and she laughed and said "Well, child abductions just don't happen here.....who would do that? It's just not something anyone considers because that sort of crime is not a reality of life in Qatar." Amazing, truly.

Go here. Eat. Love. 
We had supper at my parents' favourite Thai restaurant, Thai Smiles. I love Thai food, I cook a lot of it at home. This place is tucked under part of the Al Bidda Park. The food here was lovely and I was introduced to many things which the owner/manager swears are traditional Thai meals, that I have never seen before. My favourite of the evening was the egg packet - an envelope of cooked egg, like a very thin omelette, containing spicy chicken, sweet peppers, lemongrass, and mushrooms. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The food just kept coming and coming. That is one thing about the independent restaurants here. I've noticed that until you indicate that you are so full that movement is becoming a physical impossibility, the servers will keep bringing you food. Now, I am pretty certain that Tony Roma's, Applebee's, and all the other corporate franchise restaurants from North America are not like that, but every non-franchise place that I've been to has been this way so far.
Spring rolls. Mmmm.

More food!!!
Something else that I have noticed is the way water is served. It comes to the table in big 2L bottles. In Canada and the USA you usually get big enormous glasses that are never ending. The water here is never ending, too, but it's just different. Even in the nicest restaurants, you still get a big plastic bottle and tiny little glasses plunked in the middle of the table. Not bad, just different. Eating in restaurants is a cheaper here than at home, too.
A feral kitty waiting for service :)
And of course, there were lots of feral cats around. They are very laid back and relaxed, and drift in and out of everywhere. No one seems to mind their presence. 






No comments:

Post a Comment